It is really stressful to finish formatting your computer completely only to realize that you have forgotten to partition or divide your hard drive . Meaning you are to reformat your computer, maybe that is the only way you know how to partition your hard drive. Well, there is a simpler way to do that without reformatting your computer.
The steps we are about to give below work perfectly on windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
1. Press the windows key on the keyboard or click on the start menu icon. Type computer management in the search box and press the enter key.
2. Click on Disk Management on the left side of the window that appears and your hard disk will show up.
3. Right click on the hard disk you want to partition and click on Shrink Volume from the drop down menu.(Please, do not do anything to the System Reserved partition).
4. Enter the amount of space you want to shrink. You have to note that, you cannot shrink more than the available space(in megabytes) on your disk which you will see in the process. (NB:1000mb=1gb, 2000mb=2gb, 40000mb=40gb etc). After entering the amount of space you want to shrink, click on Shrink.
5. You will now see Unallocated partition in the disk management window. Right click on the unallocated partition and click on the New Simple Volume option.
6. The New Simple Volume Wizard will appear. Click on the next button to continue the process.
7. You will now be shown the size you entered previously. If you are OK with it, you can continue to the next step but if you want to decrease it, you can do that in this window by entering the new size. I said decrease because you cannot enter a higher figure than the maximum space you will be presented with.
8. Click on the Next button.
9. Select a letter name for your new partition. There will already be a letter name in the small box. If you are OK with the letter name, click the Next button. But if you want to change it, click on the down arrow next to it and select from the available letter names and click the Next button.
10. In this window, there will be three main options. File system, Allocation unit size and Volume label.
*for File system, select NTFS
*for Allocation unit size, select Default
*for Volume label, type the name you want to give to the new partition.
11. Click on the Finish button.
You may see a pop-up menu, select Format to format your new partition. This pop-up menu do not usually appears especially on windows 8 , 8.1 and 10.
Looking for the next step? You are done! Congratulations!!!